Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sicily Gardens; Before, After, and After After

One of the many attractions of this lovely home in Balestrate was the small garden I saw in the photos. I enjoy pottering in the garden, and even more enjoy the super fresh produce it provides. I was a bit disappointed that when we arrived the garden was still in its winter clothes - seedy and chaotic.

I set to with the tools at hand - a pick-axe, mattock (small and large) and hoe. Unfortunately I have had tendinitis in my forearms and using these traditional tools made that flare up. Nevertheless, I did make some progress with modified techniques.

I planted the basil and lettuce, but was to tired to keep going with the other plants - tomatoes and parsley.

I must add that before I embarked on this gardening project I did ask our wonderful landlord if it would be ok and he assured me that it would be.. .

I am not certain whether my haphazard attempts inspired Giuseppe to take pity on me or whether he planned to weed and roto-till the garden any way; but for two extremely long days this week, our wonderful downstairs neighbour Giuseppe first weeded, then roto- tilled the little garden behind the house. Now it looks like the beautiful tidy garden that Christopher so admired across the garden fence in our side yard neighbour:
 or at least it is on its way there.



No comments:

Post a Comment