Friday, April 17, 2015

Sicily Food: Polpo, Carchofi and Fava - Octopus, artichoke and broad beans

As I mentioned we finally got up early enough to see the fish monger recommended by our landlord. Enzo is the fishmonger's name. When I expressed interest in the octopus he eagerly poked them to show they were still alive, which i admit was interesting at the time, but disconcerting now in retrospect. I was more interested in finding out how to clean them. My other octopus experiences were with previously frozen cleaned octopus.

 Here's Enzo showing me how to clean the octopus. A very messy business I must say. And he left the eyes and beak, unexpectedly to me. I do hope the octopus had expired by the time they lost their brains.
Situated beside the fishmonger's van was a green grocer's. I can't remember what we were laughing about, but we had a good time. Sadly, there's no photos of the beautiful assortment of fruits and vegetables we got for 15E, including some purple carchofi that didn't have a choke. Those who've met artichokes fresh know that inside the delectable vegetable is a furry, spiny centre, called the 'choke' probably because those furry spines feel like they'll choke you if you swallow them. Anyway, these little purple ones didn't have that.
I wasn't really sure what I was going to do with all this stuff, just that I had to have it. For lunch we had an amazing sandwich with sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, cheese (local sheeps' cheese of course) and anchovies. Accompanied by fresh asparagus. That left me with the octopus, artichokes and some broad beans that our neighbour gave us. Here's what they became;
Christopher has a deft touch with the octopus - gently lowering the tenticles in boiling water makes them curly.

Octopus, artichoke, fava, lemon, spring onion, salt, pepper, parsley and Extra virgin olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment