Monday, July 27, 2015

France Travel: St. Bertrand de Comminges Fête Médiévale Part II

Today I wandered up into town with my lovely costume and enjoyed and participated in the spectacle. Said spectacle included encampments of medieval re-enactors in the small park in front of the humongous church, and the lovely museum. There were knights, maidens and children all in period costume. A really cool thing to see I must say.

Our neighbour George's seeing THE OUTFIT.


The Medieval camp in the centre of town





Centre of the Action as always...






I have been hoping to find other spinners here. No such luck. On the other hand I think I added some verisimilitude to the whole thing by spinning on my lovely little Canadian spindle. I was also surprised by how many people spoke enough English to ask me about what I was up to. My French and Spanish was not up to much, but the folks who were interested enough to ask spoke lots of English.

So, no spinners, but a flock of sheep were here. I plucked up my courage and asked the shepherd if I could buy some of his sheep's wool, using my spindle as a prop to explain what I meant.  there is a breed of sheep 'native' to this part of France (the Pyrenees) that have clean faces and legs, small horns and a very small fleece. If I understood the shepherd, which I'm not certain about because he wasn't sober, and even if he was, his French was far from 'pure', he keeps his lovely sheep only for their meat because their fleece is so small it isn't worth trying to sell. A sad disappointment for me, because from what I could feel, their fleece is perfectly spinnable.



Watching the production...

No comments:

Post a Comment