Sunday, May 24, 2015

Sicily Food: Culinary Quirks

Now I have no doubt loyal readers, that you will find this insane, but I'm craving Mexican cuisine, or maybe a nice scrimp curry, or Sichuan beans?

It is a quirk of nature as far as I am concerned that in Mexico one cannot purchase a lemon for love nor money. Here in Sicily limes are just as scarce. I know that I should embrace this, indicative as it is of the local nature of food and the rejection of globalization... but my GOD! What I wouldn't give for a few good limes to make a mojito... thinking about it, I guess that is a sign of the hegemony of global food. I crave a drink made from lime juice, mint and rum, (Carribean in origin due to the low cost of sugar/molasses due to the slave trade) but made famous by Hemingway, or perhaps James Bond, depending on your perspective.

Let me instead embrace the Sicilian equivalent, when I find it it will undoubtedly include lemons, probably grappa made from left over crushed wine grapes and mint... Note to self, acquire some grappa...

P.S. I've just finished listening to a book on tape called "A History of the World in 6 Glasses" by Tom Standage which covers the Caribbean rum trade very well. If I tell you I just recently finished listening to "Consider the Fork" by Bee Wilson you may sense a trend. Never fear, a few Andrea Camilleri murder mysteries were interspersed too. Next up? "The Second World War" by Sir Winston Churchill - it was on sale, at Audible and English language books are impossible to find here so I'm not in favour of brevity...

1 comment: