Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Sicily; Day out in Castellemare

Today our new friends Sheila and Sal took me into Castellemare del Gulfo to see the inside of the Norman castle - which is a museum. Entry was free because; "we in Castellemare are so proud of it". nice! There were some fantastic models of the Arabic waterworks, old tools, clothes, spinning wheels, you name it.


Model of an Arabic waterwheel used to full woolen cloth 
Sicilian plumbing arrangements - yes, those are sewer pipes on the outside walls. 

Sal explaining the use of blacksmithing tools

Spiral Stairs...

Spiral Stairs 2 Stone

Madonna and child in a tiny chapel just inside the castle battlements


After a lovely long nap Isla and I walked into Balestrate to mail some postcards, pick up some train tickets and have a glass of bubbly. We walked the beach back to the house and I had a swim, which confused Isla no end. She couldn't understand what I was doing in the water! Normally (as in anywhere in Whitehorse) the water is her domaine. Here it is beautiful for swimming. In fact, I had the beach almost entirely to myself because the weather has cooled, clouds rolled in and the Sicilians generally felt that it was time to head indoors just in case it might rain.

As I type I'm sitting on the deck smelling the neighbour's honeysuckle and listening to another neighbour's peacock beak off. Between the peacock, the pig and the hounds it isn't really as quiet as one might hope. On the other hand, any time a car drives by it seems incredibly noisy!

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment