Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sarah's Smoked Salmon Part 2

For Christmas, we bought ourselves the top of the line Bradley digital smoker. The weather has been so cold we didn't get it out of the packaging until today. I was inspired to try and use up more of the meat - or in this case, fish - in our freezer before we depart on our 7 month sabbatical.

I started the brining on Saturday with Kosher salt, brown sugar (in equal proportions), fresh ground black pepper and some random hot pepper flakes. Today I reviewed the instructions for the smoker, and discovered that it needed 'seasoning'. It stands to reason that you'll get a better smoked flavour from a smoker that's got smokey flavour already in it. No one wants smoked salmon that tastes like motor oil. I had prepped 3 salmon (6 sides). Of the six I rinsed the brine off 3 of them and wiped the other 3 salmon sides. Our weather today was just above 0 degrees Celsius so I elected to dry the salmon in  the barbecue because there's not near enough room in our tiny fridge for 6 sides of salmon to rest while they develop that 'pellicle'.

Pellicle formed, smoker seasoned, power hooked up, alder pucks inserted... I lay a side of salmon on each rack and set the smoke timer for 9.5 hours and the oven temp 150 degrees Fahrenheit and oven timer for 9.5 hours.  After 2 hours I checked up on it and gave it fresh water in the bowl that extinguishes the spent pucks. After 6 hours (there was a little afternoon nap) I checked up on the salmon and decided it might be done.

Its done!

The flesh is cooked, but I decided it needed a bit more smoke and a bit more sweet. So, the remainder of the side are still in the smoker, I turned off the oven part, and left on the smoke and glazed it with maple syrup. Sadly, I think it turned out a bit salty... next time 2 parts sugar to 1 part salt I think.  

No comments:

Post a Comment