Saturday, January 28, 2012

Snorkelling


After three days of blustering from the change of the moon (so the locals tell us) the winds died down after lunch and the sea calmed enough that I could see through it. Ah Ha! I can go swimming again. In point of fact what I really enjoy is snorkeling, which for me means hanging face down in the warm water breathing through a snorkel, looking through a mask at the amazing sea life. Today’s highlights; two (yes, two) eels, one blue with white spots making it stand out a bit from it’s rocky home, the other a beautiful intense green, which caused it to completely blend in with it’s weed surrounded home (it wasn’t until it poked it’s toothy snout out at me that I even knew it was there); a puffer fish (a beige and red camo patterned it’s skin and I swear algae was growing on it); a sea urchin; a conch looking thingy the size of my fist; a small ray; and last but not least a sea slug which moved surprisingly quickly. My only sacrifice was the skin on the palms of my hands which due to constant immersion has begun to flake off a bit. Small price to pay really. Part of what makes snorkeling so enjoyable here is the diversity and density of the sea life. If you just hang out in the water, you’ll see something. It also helps that the water is warm, pretty much skin temperature so you never feel at all chilled. The water and sea life are a big attraction to this part of the world. This is the third time I’ve swum in the Caribbean and I think I’m going to keep coming back whenever I can. I only wish that I could have taken photos of all the sea life to attach to this post. I must add at this juncture that Chris took all the photos and was only inspired to do so when I was wearing my thong bikini - not for publication. Chris strenuously objects to this point!

No comments:

Post a Comment