Thursday, October 22, 2015

Venice by Train, the Grand Canal, and the Generator Hostel

My Dad, Donna and a friend of theirs were in Venice and I thought it would be great to grab a train and go see them. I do love train travel. In Europe the opportunity to travel by train is always (almost always) there. So, rather than arrive at the airport all stressed, hours before a half  hour flight, I arrived at the Roma Termini train station by cab a half hour before my train. On the train I did find that I'd chosen my seat poorly, and was facing backwards until Florence, sigh. I discovered that on the Frecciargento something about the movement of the train or the airhandling was queasy making, not the case on the Frecciarossa (go figure, both are high speed trains, the 'argento apparently tilts and the 'rossa doesn't). In around 4 hours I was delivered from Roma Termini to Venice Santa Lucia - right on the Grand Canal in Venice and into the loving embrace of family who met me on the platform. I do love that.

For me one of the best things about venice is how the water transport takes you past some of the most lovely and unique architecture in the world. You just sit down and enjoy. Certain of the vaporettos (boat bus) even have open air seats at the prow so you have a grand stand view of the Grand Canal.
















I was lucky enough to find an inexpensive room at the Generator Hostel on the Guidecca so I could afford to stay over night even. I can't say enough about how fabulous this hostel is. The last time I'd stayed in a hostel was more than a decade ago and it was nothing to write home about - dry, warm and cheap. This hostel is a whole other kettle of fish. Brand new fittings, floors and design, with lovely preservation of some of the building's original features. I got a large room with a big bathroom over looking the canal and Venice with breakfast for only 76 Euros. It had both heat and A/C and was very easy to find near one of the vaporetto stops on the #2 line.








No comments:

Post a Comment