Sunday, October 25, 2015

Roman Sunday lunch

We have a great fishmonger in the local market where we've spent quite a bit of money. This guy is an 'orata' which is apparently a sea bream. All I know is that it is tasty! I was inspired to make this dish after eating something similar in Venice recently...

 With it we had the last bottle of the French wine we'd been accidentially hording. It was at the back of the cupboard and we found it as we were cleaning out for the epic pack. I also made some very nice spinach, just quickly wilted in a hot fry pan with a bit of garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.

This was desert. Here they call it 'cachi' which is pronounced the same as the colour 'khaki'. If I've understood the info google gave me, it is a bitter persimmon that is so over ripe all the bitterness is gone. It is certainly one of the sweetest fruits I've ever tasted. I like it, but think it's an acquired taste, or perhaps I should say texture. Mostly, I wanted to try it because I've seen them every where here and never in Whitehorse. I'd also seen a lovely painting of persimmons recently that was equally inspiring. 

The serving recommendation of the green grocer was to just eat it like an apple. I'm glad that I cut off the top and scooped out the insides with a spoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment