Saturday, October 17, 2020

Frozen Indigo

We’ve had such a nice long for the temperature is above freezing during the days. After work on Wednesday I started indigo dying a duvet cover we’ve had in the cupboard for a while. Indigo dye is a direct deposits on the surface of the fabric. The more times you dip the fabric in the indigo dye pot, the darker blue it gets. At 5:30 the temperature was +9 no problem dipped it hung it on the clothesline for the indigo to oxidize. By the time I went back out at 6:30 the thing had frozen solid.
Despite this, I forged a head dipping the frozen sheet into the still liquid indigo dye bath. I hung it on the line to freeze/oxidize overnight. The next morning when I went to check on it it was the most beautiful sparkly frozen thing.




Later that day when the temperature rose I heated up the frozen indigo dye bath, dipped the also frozen sheet into it, and hung it up again to oxidize. In the end it turned out beautifully, a dark blue on the bottom and a pale pale blue at the top I sort of ombré. No photos because my fingers got too cold! 

No comments:

Post a Comment