Sunday, June 28, 2020

Second Weaving

For a long time I would say things like after the apocalypse/singularity my family will be warm. And here we are! I do hope there is a paradigm shift that allows people to value things differently. The simple pleasures of time with friends, and for me, the creation of useful beautiful, whole, sustainable material objects.

This is the second thing I’ve woven during the pandemic. It began as a white ‘kindly wooded’ Shetland fleece that I bought at Jamieson’s wool brokers in Lerwick Shetland when I was there for Wool Week in 2018 with my wool girlfriends Char and Maria. This is part of the wool brokers stash that I reveled in. 

After getting home I began hand carding and spinning the fleece. I won awards a at
Last year’s Haines State Fair for the yarn. Then my plan was to knit something, but I changed my mind after I had my first success weaving on the Guild’s Schact rigid heddle loom. It took me about a month on and off to weave this lovely scarf/shawl. 

The warping and work in progress. 

Tiring the fringe. 

It’s finished!











No comments:

Post a Comment