Friday, January 29, 2016

Makin' Bacon

A local community butcher that has been in business here in the Downtown East Side since 1957 hosted a 'makin' class for bacon. I do love bacon, probably much more than is good for me, and I've had my butcher make bacon for me out of the local pigs we've gotten in the past. I thought it was high time that I knew more about the process. Our genial host and instructor, Colin, walked us through the process of making North American style smoked bacon (the kind that crisps in the pan), back bacon (or as the American's call it "Canadian Bacon") and porchetta. Good times were had by all, especially deciphering the phrased 'Poped Bacon'. I'm a brave woman, so, I asked whether it was Catholics in general, or just the Pope who made this style of bacon. Poped translates as 'pumped' which is the light
ning fast method used by commercial producers who pump, or inject, the bacon with the cure.
Manhandling the meat....

Indepth description of smoking the bacon.

Massaging the bacon some more... 

Bacon

Beginning the roll... 

Chris got pretty excited about tying up the porchetta.... 

Being instructed in proper tying procedure.... I think there's a few dirty jokes there...
Cinching the knots, nice and tight, under the eagle eye of Colin... 

My own attempt at the porchetta tie... 

The beast all tied up

No comments:

Post a Comment