Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Bicycle Felting Machine

I've been on a 'use it up' kick for some time now. I am far too often sucked into 'retail therapy' and I've been trying in the last few years to stem the tide. I revist my stash regularly to remind myself of the beautifl fabric, fibre, yarn and notions I already posess. The other effort here is to free up space for more new to me fibre, fabric and notions. I've got a plan to go to the Olds Alberta fibre fest next year. I decided i couldn't go this year because I still have an entire fleece untouched from last time. Well, lets be honest, a fleece and a half a kid mohair fleece.

Now, on the upside I turned some decade old handspun Manx Loughtan yan into a lovely warm cardigan. I've created a sheet of fabric using a friends knitting machine that used hardly any yarn. There's the rub, I've made very little headway into the fibre stash. Hence, the bicycle felting machine. So far results are mixed. That has to do with the learning curve I'm sure. Also, the fibre I'm attempting to felt is a lucious Romney with lovely open locks, not the best for felting. I think with work it will result in a lofty soft felt. Chris' idea was to use it as a quilting bat. Extrapolating that I may try to cut it into pieces and quilt it to a cotton backing for a fibre stylin' jacket.

Stay tuned for photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment