Sunday, January 1, 2023

Grandma Poplar (originally meant to post March 10, 2022)

Today I adventured on a new trail with my friend Linda. We had intended to see a waterfall, but we noticed another trail heading uphill after the waterfall, so we took it. At the end of the trail we found a gigantic tree. I thought it was a oak, but the bark was wrong and there were no acorns. When I got back to the house our wonderful local carpenter ( who features in other posts) told me that tree is know as grandma poplar (or poppal as they are called here). All the other poplars around are her children. 


This idea of the grandmother tree is something I’ve heard repeatedly. From First Nation elders and in the book, ‘The Hidden Life of Trees’. It certainly resonates with me. 

It was a beautiful hike. 







No comments:

Post a Comment