Friday, July 1, 2022

Adaka Festival: Quillwork with Suzan Marie

A wonderful day at Adaka Festival. I’ve always wanted to learn how to use porcupine quills as decorative elements. Now I understand why everyone uses beads! 


These vintage vamps were quilled by Sarah Hardisty of Fort Simpson NWT in the late 1990’s. She also did the quill work in collaboration with Suzan Marie on this jacket that was cut and seen by Darcy Moses of Ft Simpson.  



It was gifted to Steven Kakwfi of NWT ( a former Premier) who is kind enough to use it and loan it for exhibits. 

And here is where I got after 6 hours:


And I am almost bald from tearing my hair out. Key skills for this art/ craft: patience, good up close eyesight, steady hands. The essence of this surface embellishment technique is needle placement. A hairs fraction off and the pattern is altered. Teaching examples. 






No comments:

Post a Comment