Sunday, October 28, 2018

The Hemming Episode

I do enjoy nice clothes. Both my parents had style. My mom was more aux courant, with mad keen sewing skills. My dad had a vintage vibe - wearing his Saville Row suits until they were back in style again. In recent years my mother’s ‘I remember that from the first time around’ has echoed in my mind, memory and ears more than once as I find myself saying it. On the other hand something’s really are timeless. What those things are, each person needs to decide for themselves. Timeless means you wear it with style, confidence and sass. Because of my work, I’m always on the lookout for a nice, conservative wool suit. I always have to hem the sleeves, pants and skirt. Gone are the days when this service is offered in store - although I barely remember it. Now you are lucky to find someone who can do it. People seem content to have ill fitting clothes. Go figure. Standing in line waiting to purchase my various articles of clothing I bonded with two women who needed to have their garments modified. One, whose mother was still living, it’s going to take them to her. The other was hoping that on her visit to Europe she be able to get the suit jacket tailored to fit. We all agreed clothes  look nicer and we look better when garments are tailored properly.



No comments:

Post a Comment