Monday, October 30, 2017

Canadian National Gallery

It was like seeing old friends returning to the National Gallery. When I last visited the Canadian Gallery was closed. This time my visit coincided with the Biennale- which seems like an opportunity to drag out of storage less seen works. Like a Nick Cave ‘sound suit’. 



I was also quite taken with a few of the installations. 



In the accompanying video there is a lovely, humourous dialogue about modern art which lent a wonderful dimension to this post-modern piece 😀. 
I also loved the depaneur- Quebec corner store - where your video image got linked to a Facebook page the docent told me. 





Then there was the installation about the production of pearls which really shook me. I had never considered how those pearly gems were produced. 



The last and possibly most intriguing piece of the Biennale was called Heavy Weight History. A team of professional Polish weightlifters was engaged to lit various monuments around the capital. Then a sports commentator would interview them about their efforts. 






Then it was on to my old friends in the Gallery. 













No comments:

Post a Comment