Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sarah's Slow Food


When I was first introduced to the idea of slow food, I thought; "what the hell? who has time for more time in the kitchen"? I've come to realize that for me at least, slow food isn't slow to get on the table, nor does it necessarily take more tome to make, it just takes a bit of planning and preparation. What you see took around 10 minutes of active work, and 2.5 days of just sitting around. It's tonight's pizza dough made with a sourdough starter I got in Toronto.
And here is a nascent loaf of bread made with 5 of the same minutes of effort as the pizza dough, and another 5 minutes all for itself. 2 of those were finding the recipe.

And here's some rhubarb beer sauce for cooking and beverages in the winter;
In a way it is weird how little 'hands on' time all this takes. Even canning is shockingly easy and not timing consuming. Particularly when I consider the intense satisfaction and pride I get out of having this stuff around I think it is a very small price to pay. Here's the deal; Christopher asked me to spend less time 'on screens' and more time away from them. Shocking what amount of time you have when you spend less time on screens. Plus, there's the envy and admiration of friends who taste your amazing products or even admire them in their shiny rows on the shelf.

Don't get me wrong, there's still the occasional convenience food, but I gotta tell you, very little tastes as good as salmon you cook to your own taste (for me just barely cooked) and layer on salad greens from your garden dressed with Mom's Sturbridge Dressing:
1/2 tsp dry mustard (keens)
1 tsp sugar
dash black pepper
2 dashes Tabassco
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp vinegar
1/3 best olive oil, or avacado or nut oil
2 tbsp water
Measure all into glass jar with screw top lid. Shake vigorously. Dress salad to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment