Saturday, July 21, 2012

Shopping as Recreation

I've noticed amongst my friends, peers and colleagues that shopping has become a recreation. People shop for something to do. For an emotional lift. For fun. Sometimes because they want something, even more occasionally because they need something. Don't get me wrong, I do it to. I'll get it into my head that i 'need' something. Frankly, I live a pretty blessed life, there isn't a lot i really need. The whole advertising culture imbues us with the idea that we have "needs". Well, to deal with the fact that I am the target market for every marketer in the world and the way they make me feel I need to shop... I go yard saleing. I take my pocket money jingling around in a pocket, hop onto my bike and cruise the neighbourhood yard sales.

Today I found an Italian made espresso maker/milk steamer for all of $2. Less than 1/2 the price of a Starbucks latte. It makes excellent cappuccinos.

Then I found the perfect spinning chair. An old school chair with a drawer. I'm short, so the size is perfect. I figure I can put all my spinning wheel's accessories in the drawer. It was $20. 
My final purchase was probably the most entertaining. Our wonderful neighbours have been borrowing lawn mowers for 4 years. They have lawn and no lawn mower. So, I bought them an electric lawn mower. They really enjoy it already!

1 comment:

  1. I want one ... too cool for words! Wonder if that would help me find my spinning mojo?

    ReplyDelete