Thursday, October 8, 2026

Italia! Abruzzo

We’ve had a lovely few days relaxing and enjoying the Adriatic coast of Italy. We were able to rent a car for the day and tool around the province and it is a part of Italy I’d like to see more of. The coast is lovely, but the mountains are magnificent.

We sealed the deal for the €60 rental car with an espresso and a few signatures. The most complicated thing about it were the two different fuel types. More on that later.

This was our first fuel stop when we realized that the orange dashboard light was the low gasoline warning. And no, Christopher didn’t drink the wine. He just posed with it.

We stopped for lunch in Lanciano, which has been a town for more than 2000 years. Neither of us took a photo of it, but the lovely restaurant we stopped in the bathroom window was an arrow slit from the old castle wall.

Lunch was delicious. I asked our lovely waitress to tell me what these phenomenal cheese ball things were, but I fail to write it down, and it has now slipped from  memory - we ate at Abruzzo Gourmet Restaurant  

This has been a town for more than 2 thousand years.

After lunch I thought it would be nice to see a bit more of the countryside. 

Sadly, we couldn’t find anywhere to pull over to take pictures. This is the best I could do. Vines are trained in a more traditional way when they make out shady Avenue for the grapes to grow underneath wood in the background is one of the beautiful surrounding mountains.

Down that road came a horse and cart at an incredible rate of speed. The horse and driver are in the background on the road of this photo. The video is even more remarkable.


No comments:

Post a Comment